To view all of Amanda's paintings, visit http://www.amandafishfineart.com/

EVENTS AND SHOWS:

Updates coming soon.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Religious Window Displays in Rome

"Advent Purple," oil on linen, 10"x8"

The first time I passed by a window display of clerical garments it was dusk, near Piazza della Minerva in Rome. The light was glowing on the decorative vestments, stoles, chalices and other ornamental pieces. They were beautiful displays of ecclesiastical wear.  As an artist, and also a lady who has spent many a year in Catholic schools, I thought there could be something unique about painting these displays.  I took pictures and painted "The Pope's Tailor" (below) when I returned.  I always meant to paint more from the photographs, but never did.  So now, several years later, I have painted "Advent Purple," the first in a new series I've begun.  (The garment I've painted is a surplice, worn by clergy in a choir, during processions and when administering the sacraments.  The purple stole is worn during Advent and the Season of Lent, also during confessional.)

"The Pope's Tailor" painted in 2008 (sold).

No comments:

Post a Comment