To view all of Amanda's paintings, visit http://www.amandafishfineart.com/

EVENTS AND SHOWS:

Balboa Island Art Walk, Sunday, May 17th, 9am-5pm. I will be at my same location, 9 years (!), at Onyx Ave. I love this one-day show. Balboa Island, CA. Visit www.balboaislandartwalk.info

Art-A-Fair, Laguna Beach, CA. I'm thrilled to be a part of this great annual art event for the 2nd year! Opens June 26 - though August 30th. http://www.artafair.com/


Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cooler Palette

"Blooming Delights" oil on wood panel, 6"x12"

I have talked about going outside my comfort zone as an artist before.  This time it's with a cooler palette along with painting roses...always a challenge.  From time to time, I feel the need to try different colors (if only for one painting), brushes, surfaces, or subject matter.  It's a good thing.  Eventhough I continue to learn and develop with every painting I do, a new set of challenges pushes you more.  I always gain something important, often an "aha" moment.  Now mind you, that aha moment could be a good or bad one! For this painting I used mostly, Viridian, Burnt Umber, Alizarin, Rose Quinacridone, Cad Yellow Pale, Indian Yellow and Titanium White.  I used a very small amount of Ultra Marine and Cobalt.  For the most part, my challenge here was using Viridian and Burnt Umber for the shadows and dark background.  (Perhaps I was influenced by the recent small painting I did (see below) of "Paris Rouge" - a cool palette of colors.) Though my shadows and dark background is usually dictated by the objects and the light source in my still lifes, it is often a combination of Raw Sienna, Ultra Marine and Alizarin.  As for painting roses, it's been a slow process.  I took advantage of the many blooms I had this summer, studying, sketching and painting roses.  More challenges await.

No comments:

Post a Comment